Income Protection. Have you insured your biggest asset?

Here’s a confronting question: what would you do one if the main breadwinners in your house could no longer bring in an income? Do you have a Plan B? Many people don’t. That’s where income protection insurance comes in.

While we don’t like to imagine that it could happen to us, one in three Australians could be disabled for more than three months before the age of 65. With the mortgage to pay and day-to-day living expenses to meet, it doesn’t take long before you run down your savings and face significant financial difficulty.

If you own a car, perhaps it’s worth $20,000. There’s a good chance you’ve got it insured. That’s a pretty big expense if it gets stolen and you need a car to get to work or even just the practicalities of day-to-day life.

If you own a home, it’s probably insured. You can’t imagine having to fund $300,000 of rebuilding costs if you were unlucky enough to lose it in a fire.

Now what about your income? Is it insured? If you are currently 45 and earn $80,000 per annum, you could earn around $2.15 million over the next 20 years. Isn’t that worth protecting?


Current income (per annum) Age now
25 35 45 55
$40,000 $3,020,000 $1,900,000 $1,070,000 $460,000
$60,000 $4,520,000 $2,850,000 $1,610,000 $690,000
$80,000 $6,030,000 $3,810,000 $2,150,000 $920,000
$100,000 $7,540,000 $4,760,000 $2,690,000 $1,150,000

Assumptions: Income increases by 3% per annum. No employment breaks. Figures rounded to nearest $10,000.

What kind of Plan B do you need?

The last thing you need to worry about when you’re dealing with a serious illness or injury is your finances. That’s where insurance comes into its own. It’s a well-known saying that you only realise the value of insurance when you need it – and you don’t have it.

Taking out Income Protection insurance could provide you with a monthly benefit of up to 75% of your income to replace lost earnings while you recover. The cost of the insurance will depend up the waiting period and the maximum benefit period you select. It’s also worth noting that Income Protection premiums may be tax deductible when held in your own name. Alternatively if you don’t have sufficient cash flow to fund the Income Protection premiums, you may want to arrange the cover in superannuation, where the cost will be deducted from your account balance.

About Finance Women

Finance Women provides financial planning to women who are looking for a trusted source of financial advice. We take the time to understand your particular situation and concerns so that that the advice is practical. Finance Women is not owned or contracted to a bank or insurance company, the advice is free from commissions and you stay in control. If you can’t make it to one of our Melbourne offices we can provide advice over the phone or Skype.

Need some advice? Like what you’ve heard? Visit us at, call us on 1300 048 208 or email


Finance Women Pty Ltd ABN 86 601 109 960 (Corporate Authorised Representative number 1000187) and its financial planners are authorised representatives of Dover Financial advisers Pty Ltd. AFSL 307248. This document has been prepared for general information and education and not as specific advice for a particular person. You should seek professional advice prior to acting upon any recommendation or other information contained within this document. Alternatively, you should carefully consider the appropriateness of the advice in light of your personal objectives, financial situation and needs. You should also obtain and consider the Product Disclosure Statement before making any decisions in relation to a financial product. The information contained in this document has been taken from sources believed to be reliable. Although every attempt has been made to verify the accuracy of the information contained in this document, liability for any errors or omissions is specifically excluded by the Licensee.”


Recommended Posts